Re: mutt/2218: Corrupted display in gnome-terminal

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2218; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2218: Corrupted display in gnome-terminal
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 23:20:34 +0200 (CEST)

 Hello Tamotsu!

  On Sunday, May 7, 2006 at 14:55:02 +0200, Tamotsu Takahashi wrote:

 > * Sun May  7 2006 Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
 >> What's the current assumed_charset patch?
 > http://www10.plala.or.jp/sanrinsha/tamo/patch-1.5.9.tt+tamo.assumed.3

     Much thanks! I tried it, and the practice met the theory: Vincent's
 example "From:" with $assumed_charset=us-ascii is masked exactly as
 expected. Masked by question marks on any $charset terminals, or by
 replacement chars U+FFFD on UTF-8 terms. Display and layout are not
 anymore corrupted.

     Just to repeat: I think the assumed_charset patch should be
 committed. It's both a great feature, and a fix for such screen layout
 breakage (unavoidable in straight Mutt). It enhances the fine control
 the user has on what's shown him. That's the sort of feature Mutt needs,
 and should like. And I see not a single valid argument against it.

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Thus, quite literally, what Alain said is 100% accurate