[RFC] header+body caching for POP

Hi,

I've started writing a patch for CVS head that ports the header caching used in Maildir and IMAP also to POP. In addition, via $imap_cachedir, mutt can cache whole messages and not just headers. I've also started porting this feature to POP.

I don't know how many people really rely on POP these days, but IMHO once mutt has such features built in, these should be used where appropriate.

What this patch does in detail:

  1. it adds $message_cachedir as generalization from
     $imap_cachedir which is now a synonym for it
  2. it adds a manual section on header and body caching
  3. it enables header and body caching for POP

It would be cool if people using POP could test it and report back to me if there're problems, if it works, if the documentation is understandable and correct, etc.

My local commit messages with explanations what I've done is at:

  <http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pdmef/mutt/patches/pdmef+patch+cache.log>

I small readme is at:

  <http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pdmef/mutt/patches/pdmef+patch+cache.txt>

and the diff against latest CVS head is at:

  <http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pdmef/mutt/patches/pdmef+patch+cache.diff>

It should be applied with:

  cd /path/to/mutt/source && patch -p1 < /path/to/diff

There're some minor issues still open which I'm interested in discussing on the devel list only.

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!