Re: bug in IMAP edit-threads

Kyle Wheeler wrote:  [Tue Mar 21 2006, 10:03:01AM EST]
> Works fine for me… I use that feature all the time, actually (people
> are *always* posting poorly to some of the lists I subscribe to).
>
> Perhaps it’s a problem/incompatability between mutt and your imap
> server?

Actually, further investigation has revealed what's actually
happening, with both mutt-1.5.11 and mutt-cvs:

1. With mutt -F /dev/null, after linking and syncing, the message
   disappears temporarily.  It reappears (in the correctly linked
   location) the next time that messages are fetched from the server,
   for example when imap-fetch-mail is called.

   This is disconcerting and could be improved, but at least the mail
   is not actually being removed.

2. With header_cache enabled, after linking and syncing, the messages
   disappears semi-permanently.  In truth the message is still on the
   server, but no amount of imap-fetch-mail causes it to reappear in
   the index.  Exiting mutt (possibly just changing folders) causes
   the message to reappear.

So both are usability bugs, but the second is much more annoying.

Aron