Re: bug reporting

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 06:51:44PM +0000, Zefram wrote:

> Derek Martin wrote:
> >That's an unfortunate reality...  Mailing lists get bombarded with
> >spam otherwise.  You just have to live with it.
> There is the option to hold posts from non-subscribers for moderation,
> rather than reject them outright.  I do this on mailing lists that I
> manage with Mailman.  I'm not saying you *must* do this, you understand,
> it's just a more helpful option.  I would also have been entirely
> satisfied with some way to directly mail an individual developer,
> who could have forwarded the message to the mailing list if ey thought
> it right.

There is, and is used to be set-up that way, but listmaster mail became
unmanagable due to the volume of SPAM and sorting real posts from UCE.

There'd pften be over 1'000 messages awaiting moderation after not
reading mail for a few hours.

> I'm only objecting to having to subscribe to a mailing list in order
> to mail the developers.  I'm not fussy about the exact mechanism for
> getting my message there.

The bugs system is allowed to get through.

> >If it is not working for you, the problem appears to be that your
> >installation of Lynx is broken in some way,
> Ah, I've found the problem now, and it turns out
> to be a Lynx bug.  The login form data gets POSTed to
> <http://bugs.mutt.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=mutt>.  That yields
> the "Redirecting..." page, which has a link to the very same URL, but of
> course I'm now supposed to GET it.  strace reveals that when I select
> the link Lynx actually repeats the POST rather than doing the GET.
> If I modify the URL by adding "&a=b" on the end then I get into gnats.
> So, I'm sorry to have blamed you for that problem.  I'll report it as a
> Lynx bug.  Now that I've got access to gnats, should I report my issue
> there, or would that now be redundant with the mail I sent to this list?

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455