Configurable arrow cursor (and tag indicator)

I use coloring very much, so that I prefer to set $arrow_cursor.
But it takes 3 columns! I'd prefer a configurable arrow cursor,
e.g. with another variable or reusing the same variable (but
this may break some muttrc's). For instance, $arrow_cursor could
be a string; when empty, this would be equivalent to the current
arrow_cursor="no".

Alternatively (I think this would be the best solution for me,
if sufficiently configurable), the cursor could be like the
status flags, and the tag character could have the same column
as the arrow cursor. Grouping the cursor and the tag flag makes
much sense for me and this would make the 3rd flag column less
overloaded.

So, with this solution, one would have, say, %z for the tag/cursor
status, with 4 possibilities, thus 4 (configurable) characters:
  1. " ": normal.
  2. "*": tagged.
  3. ">": selected (i.e. cursor on this message).
  4. "}": selected + tagged.

When using arrow_cursor="no", only 1 and 2 would be used.

Any comment?