Re: IMAP server side search integration

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 19:25:43 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
: On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 12:03:26AM +0100, Dickon Hood wrote:
: > : ... which is how you end up with programs like Firefox, which consumes all
: > : of your RAM. I found the other day that between Firefox and its use of
the X
: > : server it had exhausted the swap space on this machine. :/

: > I've noticed this with both Mozilla and Firefox on linux and Solaris; I
: > have to reboot my home desktop every couple of months because of it.
: > Highly irritating.

: uh, yeah...  If you need to reboot your system to fix the problem,
: you're doing something wrong.

I entirely agree.

: Simply killing all instances of the
: program should free up the RAM.  If it doesn't, you may have a lurker
: that you missed.  If you're really sure you got 'em all, try starting
: some other big program, to make sure the freed blocks get re-used by
: something else.  If that still doesn't do it, your system is pretty
: screwed up.  ;-)

You'd've thought so, wouldn't you.  I've taken the Linux machines in
question down to single-user mode and back, and the memory's still
missing.  On Solaris, not being root, I've just had to kill everything I
can, and whilst that copes marginally better, it still loses something
somewhere.

I've no idea why.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.