IMAP server side search integration

Yesterday I started looking into adding server-side search for IMAP
mailboxes. It looks like it shouldn't be hard to augment mutt's normal
pattern language with server-side help for the full body patterns (~b,
~h and ~H), except for one little wrinkle: IMAP search doesn't support
regular expressions, only substring matches.

So I'd like to solicit opinions on how best to integrate server-side
search into the mutt pattern language. Some possibilities:

1. Silently treat the arguments to ~(b|h|H) as simple strings and pass
   them to the server. You'd lose the ability to do full-text regular
   expression searches on IMAP folders. On the other hand, client-side
   searches are currently painful enough that probably no one does
   them anyway.
2. Three more pattern commands. Since there aren't many letters left,
   these would end up being pretty obscure, and normal body searches
   would still have to fetch every message. I don't really like this
   option.
3. A modifier for ~b..., eg $~b or $~h, indicating that the parameters
   are substrings rather than regular expressions. Would people
   actually remember to use it or is it just a nuisance?

I'm probably leaning towards 1 at the moment...

One other point is that IMAP's header search command takes two
arguments (header and field substring). I suppose this could be hacked
around by just splitting the argument on the first colon though...

-b