Re: IMAP problem sending mail

On Tuesday, 26 July 2005 at 15:25, Sayantan Sur wrote:
> Its pretty much the same. Thanks for the patch though. I am getting
> the IMAP4rev1 server crashing report. Unfortunately, I don't think the
> IMAP server is crashing at all. I can connect to it almost
> immediately/have other IMAP clients connected to it when this behavior
> is being reported by mutt.

It quite clearly is a server crash. The server is sending this line
and disconnecting:

 * BYE [ALERT] IMAP4rev1 server crashing: Unknown event from execution process

Note that this text never appears in the mutt code :)

Other clients probably perform better for one of two likely reasons:
1. they don't hold the inbox open with a long-term select. There's
   really nothing wrong with doing this, it's just a design
   decision. Mutt isn't multithreaded and only handles one mailbox at
   a time, so it makes sense to park on the open mailbox.
2. They are presumably better at automatically reconnecting. This is
   certainly something mutt should be taught to do, and I'll try to
   work on it if I can keep my schedule light for a little bit
   longer...

I could swear I remember a bug report about this on the IMAP list, but
I can't find it. A newer version of the server should fix the problem,
although my guess is you aren't in a position to do the upgrade.

> Is no one else able to reproduce the problem? I should mention that
> this happens to me when I have a folder open (e.g. Inbox) while I am
> replying/composing mail in the same terminal window (i.e. see message
> list in Inbox and then press 'm'). If I just compose  using command
> line (mutt -s ..) , or the current folder is *not* the one in which
> email arrives, this crashing report never comes. This is another
> reason I believe that it can't be a problem of the IMAP server.

The difference is in that case there's no process holding the INBOX
open.