Re: mutt development status

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 10:38:44AM -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:
> Sorry about that. Here's my opinion:
> - I like not being prompted to go back to a mailbox that I've just
>   left, so I haven't felt any pressing need to work on new mail
>   handling.

You're using mbox then.  I think my proposal makes the behavior the
best of both worlds.  You won't get prompted to go back to the mbox
you just left... but you still will (eventually) be prompted to go
back to this mailbox, after all the other new mail is read.  It will
take big changes, admittedly...

For those who really want the current maildir behavior, an existing
option could be used, with slightly modified behavior, to enforce
that.

> - your patch is fine, but I didn't want to include it for two
>   reasons. 1: yet another tiny config variable, which should probably be
>   generalized across maiilbox formats, and 2: mutt's IMAP mail
>   detection is wrong anyway. The recent flag is basically broken by
>   design (especially if you have multiple clients connected at the
>   same time), and should be replaced by a UIDVALIDITY check. This
>   means squirreling a little more data away in the buffy list, which
>   in turn makes me think that general mailbox info should be cached
>   somewhere (to record things like number of messages, number of
>   flagged, number of new, number of unread etc), which leads to bigger
>   architectural changes than I've had time to consider. The IMAP code
>   is crusty enough that this happens to me all the time - little
>   features get put off for until after the bigger rewrite that never
>   happens. I'm not proud of that. Anyway, if mail handling is fixed,
>   your patch probably won't work the same way and becomes a backward
>   compatibility problem.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.  :)

Maybe it's time for Mutt 2.0... ;-)

> - also, as one of us has been keen to point out, mutt's new mail
>   handling in general needs some TLC that may invalidate a number of
>   proposed workarounds.

-=-=-=-=-