Re: line overrun in <sort-reverse> prompt

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 06:04:46PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2005-03-24 14:55:35 -0600, David Champion wrote:
> > This patch suggests one approach to the problem, which is to change
> >
> > -                        _("Rev-Sort
> > (d)ate/(f)rm/(r)ecv/(s)ubj/t(o)/(t)hread/(u)nsort/si(z)e/s(c)ore/s(p)am?:
> > ") :
> > -                        _("Sort
> > (d)ate/(f)rm/(r)ecv/(s)ubj/t(o)/(t)hread/(u)nsort/si(z)e/s(c)ore/s(p)am?:
> > "),
> > -                        _("dfrsotuzcp")))

> > +                        _("Rev-Sort
> > Date/Frm/Recv/Subj/tO/Thread/Unsort/siZe/sCore/sPam/Label?: ") :
> > +                        _("Sort
> > Date/Frm/Recv/Subj/tO/Thread/Unsort/siZe/sCore/sPam/Label?: "),
> > +                        _("dfrsotuzcpl")))
>
> This is a good idea, in particular for the French translation.

It doesn't do so well with Asian characters, which don't have
capitals...  I suspect other languages would fall into the same
category (maybe Hebrew or Arabic languages, with which I'm unfamiliar).
Personally, I also find this to be a bit harder to grok...  Capital
letters next to tall lower-case letters aren't as easy to distinguish.

Another option could be using terminal attributes to indicate the menu
item selector character, but that depends on the terminal having the
selected attributes (i.e. bold, underline, different colors, etc.).

The parentheses are nice because they shoulld be universally
available.  I think that this menu and others (the PGP options menu
comes to mind) are good examples of cases why the menu interface may
need to be re-thought.  That is, perhaps it is time to consider
redesigning the menus so that they behave like more traditional
text-based menus (a vertical list of options, one per line, similar to
pine menus).

The current design works well for very short option lists, but doesn't
hold up so well when the number of options increases.  It also doesn't
allow for any kind of detail to describe the menu options, which might
be useful in cases where it's hard to choose an intuitive and succinct
option name.

> >     3) Develop a sort menu, where sort and sort_aux can both be selected
> >        from a list. Much more work, but has the advantage that it would
> >        be more flexible if the sort options are extended some time. I
>
> This would be an even better idea.

Only if it is generalized, so that other parts of Mutt could make use
of it also.

-=-=-=-=-