$file_charset is useless? No!

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 06:54:25PM +0100, Alain Bench wrote:
>  On Sunday, February 20, 2005 at 1:08:47 PM +0900, Tamotsu Takahashi wrote:
>
> > And it fixes another problem. Now we don't need $file_charset (at
> > least for me).
>
>     Don't say that: We still need and want $file_charset, for it's
> "normal" usefullness. As much as before.

Yes, it is still useful for attaching text files.
It is still a reasonable request. Because convert_file_from_to()
in sendlib.c has the ability to detect such files' charset, and
mutt currently doesn't use the ability at all.

But $file_charset was to fix the MIME-forwarding bug at first.
So now its severity has been decreased from normal to wishlist.

> > Japanese users, who have had trouble forwarding ISO-2022-JP messages!
>
>     IIUC $file_charset could not a second be seriously considered as a
> fix for that MIME forwarding bug. Just a happy accident. I believe that
> was the confusion? Or: Why have you wiped file- from assumed- patch?

Don't worry. I'm asking Takashi to help explaining the
real advantage of $file_charset. If he convince me, then
I'll try to convince Thomas. :)

The reason why I dropped file_charset out of assumed_charset was,
because I didn't want file_charset to be in assumed_charset's way.
There was no objection against assumed_charset, but there was one
against file_charset. I was not enough a tough-negotiator. :)

As no one is against assumed_charset, it will be in 1.5.9,
I believe. After that, we will have a chance to consider
file_charset.

--
tamo