Re: Bad charset conversion with gpg-signed mime-forward.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 06:23:23PM +0100, Laurent Fousse wrote:

> I've seen some talks about gpg handling in mutt recently so I thought
> it might be appropriate to report a bug I encountered with
> mime-forwarded message when I gpg-sign the forward.
>
> Full report is here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=295528

You said in this report you are using UTF-8 locale.
This is important.

> changed from an original value of iso-8859-1 to utf-8 without actually
> converting the message body. I don't know why this charset conversion
> is necessary, but it does not seem to occur properly anyway.

For me, the forwarded message was declared to be euc-jp,
because my $charset was "euc-jp".
Once I set both $send_charset and $file_charset to "iso-8859-1",
it was forwarded properly, though it was not 8bit but QP.
(Note: $file_charset feature is not in the CVS.)
I set only $send_charset to "iso-8859-1" and failed.
So, $file_charset should help you.

> I could reproduce the bug with latest CVS, but now my &eacute; letter
> is encoded in quoted-printable by the folowing sequence: "=EF=BF=BD"
> instead of "=E9" previously.

"=EF=BF=BD" is UTF-8 character to show that it failed to be converted.
(Try "grep '.357.277.275' *.c".) So something went wrong.

--
tamo