Re: What should go into 1.5.7?

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:01:27 +0100, Christoph Ludwig said:

>    is not documented in the info file, but I guessed it due to the analogy to
>    `gpgsm --export' (which is documented).

Thanks for noting.  Fixed.

>  * But I cannot find a way to import my private keys. How am I supposed to do
>    this? I have the keys (+ corresponding cert) in a pkcs#12 file.

>From README:

  HOW TO IMPORT A PRIVATE KEY
  ===========================
  There is some limited support to import a private key from a PKCS-12
  file.

   gpgsm --import  foo.p12

  This requires that the gpg-agent is running.

>  * I have a mail with valid S/MIME signature in my INBOX. When I open mutt
>    prints in the status line `S/MINE signature successfully verified.' But in
>    the viewer I read:

>      [-- Begin signature information --]
>      Error checking signature
>      [-- End signature information --]

>    How can I find out where this spurious error message comes from?

There are several reason for such an error.  To get detailed error
messages, you should enable logging. The most convenient way of doing
so is to add lines

log-file socket:///home/foo/.gnupg/S.log

into gpgsm.conf, gpg-agent.conf and dirmngr.conf.

The fire up

  watchgnupg --force /home/foo/.gnupg/S.log

in another terminal.  Of course using separate log files does also
work.  Give gpg-agent a HUP after changing the config file.

My guess is that dirmngr has not been configured properly.  Use
disable-crl-checks in gpgsm.conf to ignore dirmngr.

> The documentation I found at www.gnupg.org seems to more or less ignore
> S/MIME.

www.gnupg.org/aegypten/ should have nmore info.

Shalom-Salam,