Re: [HCACHE] Profiling maildir/open with mutt-1.5.7 + maildir-hc

Hello,

> For me, sort_inode increases the speed
> even with hcache enabled. (on reiserfs)

not if you have set

        set maildir_header_cache_verify=no

because there is no need to stat or open a message.

> It is good for hashed directories, but
> not so good for other filesystems.

Inode sorting only makes sense if you have to stat or open a message.
With maildir header cache and 'set maildir_header_cache_verify=no' there
is no need to stat or open a file because the information are retrieved
from the cache entry and the flags of the message get parsed via the
dirstat which happens *before* the inode sorting.

So with header caching enabled it doesn't make sense to turn inode
sorting on at all.

        Thomas