Re: [HCACHE] Profiling maildir/open with mutt-1.5.7 + maildir-hc

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 03:17:45PM +0100, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> > For me, sort_inode increases the speed
> > even with hcache enabled. (on reiserfs)
>
> not if you have set
>
>       set maildir_header_cache_verify=no
>
> because there is no need to stat or open a message.

I've just tested, and I agree.
You are right. I was wrong.
inode_sorting has no benefit when cache is available.

> > It is good for hashed directories, but
> > not so good for other filesystems.
>
> Inode sorting only makes sense if you have to stat or open a message.
> With maildir header cache and 'set maildir_header_cache_verify=no' there
> is no need to stat or open a file because the information are retrieved
> from the cache entry and the flags of the message get parsed via the
> dirstat which happens *before* the inode sorting.
>
> So with header caching enabled it doesn't make sense to turn inode
> sorting on at all.

Even when hcache is enabled,
we want to enable inode_sorting in some cases, doesn't we?
e.g. cachefile lost, many new messages, or cache_verify set

Do you have any opinion on my patch to switch on/off the sorting?
(attached to my previous post)
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mutt-dev&m=110828943801848&q=p3

If the patch is good, TLR may want to include it.

--
tamo