Re: Installation fails because of mutt_dotlock

* Vincent Lefevre [Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:30:48 +0100]:
> I still have the same problem:

  There are several ways you can solve this, without patching. The
  easiest would probably be 'fakeroot make install', but I'll assume
  that you don't have it installed.

  The thing is that the configure process will try to guess whether you
  need a setgid mutt_dotlock or not, by checking the permissions of the
  default directory for mailboxes. So, if you're building in a system
  where /var/mail is not world writable, configure will conclude that
  you need a setgid mutt_dotlock.

  I recommend that you run configure like this:

    $ ./configure --with-homespool=mbox --prefix=$HOME/whatever

  This will tell mutt that the default mbox is under the user's home
  (~/mbox, in this case) and not /var/mail/$USER, so it will not try to
  change mutt_dotlock's permissions. Then, you can always change which
  file is opened by default with the MAIL environment variable (e.g.,
  MAIL=/var/mail/you).

  Note, however, that as your /var/mail is not world writable, mutt
  will open such mailbox read only, unless you point your $dotlock_program
  to a suitable one (one with the appropriate permissions, that is).

  HTH (but I've never been familiar with that part of configure.in, and
  all the above are my conclusions after a quick look).

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

The true teacher defends his pupils against his own personal influence.
                -- Amos Bronson Alcott