Re: xterm title (What should go into 1.5.7?)

On 2005-01-28 13:42:23 +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:

> IMHO hardcoding the actual ESC-sequence into mutt is no problem,
> since it is the same on all terminals.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be terminfo capabilities for
setting things such as the window and icon title...

I think I'd split the task in two:

1. Provide the possibility to mark some parts of a format string as
"silent", so they don't contribute to on-screen width calculations.
Basically, the same concept that's also used with bash prompts.

2. Write a simple shell script that echos the necessary sequences,
so I could say something like

        something -title ...
        something -icon ...

and get the appropriate sequences echoed (or nothing if this is on
the wrong terminal).  That could then easily be used from a mutt
config file in backticks, but could also be useful in places such as
shell profiles -- or even just interactively.

I'm, actually, wondering if that tool already exists somewhere.

Comments?
--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.