Re: What should go into 1.5.7?

On 2005-01-28, Mads Laursen <dossen+mutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27/01/05 12.54, John J. Foster wrote:
> [snip]
> > a decent addressbook
>
> How about this for an idea (maybe not 1.6.0 material, but it might be
> cool longterm): Cut away the addressbook!
>
> What I'm thinking is that the alias features could be refactored into
> a seperate executable (which could be fast because it does not have to
> do much), and the places where mutt interacts with it could be
> replaced by userdefined commands, like crypto support.
>
> Then a "decent" addressbook could be written, using whatever backend
> one found desirable (maybe one for the evolution-data-server
> interface, one for ldap, one for searching online addressbooks, etc).
>
> It might even be possible to write an "addressbook multiplexer", that
> would search a given list of addressbook-implementations (say
> mutt-style, evolution, ldap, web) in order and add new entries to one
> or more of them (possibly presenting an extended interface).

What you describe sounds an awful lot like mutt's External Address
Queries feature with the Little Brother's Database
(www.spinnaker.de/lbdb/) as the external query command.  I have mine
set up to query the system's NIS password database, our company LDAP
employee database, and my private lists of addresses which have been
captured from e-mail (using the lbdb-fetchaddr utility) or entered
manually.

I understand from others that the user interface to this system is
lacking some features, but I don't recall at the moment what those
are.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division