Re: Why isn't it part of mutt "proper"

* Thomas Glanzmann <sithglan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-08-18 17:01]:
[snip]
TG> Thomas Roesslers point was:
TG>
TG>     Don't add locking mechanisms to Maildir, it was designed to work
TG>     without locking mechanisms via NFS.
TG>
TG> My answer was:
TG>
TG>     I don't add locking mechanisms to Maildir, but to the database
TG>     where the cached header information are stored in order to
TG>     prevent corruption due to multiple writers.
TG>
TG>     bottom line: Maildir stays NFS safe *without locking* it.
TG>
TG>     I also mentioned that the locking mechanims for the header cache
TG>     database are NFS safe and *nonblocking*. Read: It tries to open
TG>     the cache rw, if that fails ro, if that fails not. *Without* any
TG>     blocking.

I understood why ME's implementation did not make it into the
tree (ME said himself it had some wrinkles, though despite my
extensive everyday use I never experienced a problem). This
implementation feels sound to me, I have also tested it quite a
lot and found it problemfree.

I get about 300 messages a day, they are filtered into various
mailboxes and caching headers speeds opening them vastly, making
reading mail enormously more confortable and faster. Which is
what having a good mail client is about.

Based on the above (NFS safety) and my quite typical (and thus
common) usage of MUA by user with relatively voluminous email
correspondence I would ask TLR to reconsider including hcache
into mail tree. It drives mutt's usability score from astronomic
heights even higher.

Thanks,
jz