Re: [patch] add "notalternates" functionality

David Yitzchak Cohen <lists+mutt_devs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I've added this functionality, as "notalternates" (and unnotalternates,
> > though I haven't needed that).  I've tried to keep true to the style of
> > the existing code and documentation.

> You took a rather straightforward approach, but as we noted in the other
> thread, if we want to provide the same facilities for, say subscribe,
> we'll need to add an analog to your code separately for each statement
> we want to "enable" in this way.

True.  But I'm not sure that would be as generally useful.  I needed it for
$alternates because I have two domains at my disposal; basically any address
in either of those domains is "me", with the exception of a handful of
local-part prefixes.  Trying to have mutt correctly identify an address as
"not me" (for instance, when I received mail from one of these addresses in
one of "my" domains) was the problem.  I can't see this happening quite the
same with $subscribe, for instance -- i.e. "all addresses in this domain are
mailing lists I'm subscribed to except for addresses matching this regex..."
doesn't sound likely.

> IMHO, a more general solution would be to simply change the regex syntax to
> accomodate "in" and "out" parts.  That way, anything that uses regex lists
> in Mutt would automatically gain support for this automatically without
> introducing any new statements.

I'm all for it, if it's useful.  But so far it sounds like more trouble than
the benefit would be worth.

> > -   /* $alternates is case-insensitive,
> > +   /* $alternates and notalternates are case-insensitive,
>
> You may wanna change that a tad for consistency:
> +     /* $alternates and $notalternates are case-insensitive,
>
> (I know, it's just a nitpick.)

Nitpicks are fine.  I'm surprised no one pointed out any bigger holes; as I
said, this was my first attempt at even reading the mutt source, let alone
modifying it.  I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and well organized it
was.

> Thanks for the patch, either way,

Any chance of this being folded in to the main mutt tree?  I don't even know
who's in charge of it these days -- Thomas Roessler, perhaps?

Charles
Charles Cazabon                          <muttdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>