Re: ANNOUNCE: maildir header cache for current development cvs

TAKAHASHI Tamotsu <ttakah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >     b) save the LANG together with the cache and drop the cache if
> >        LANG has changed. I think I will do the this.
>
> Sounds good. (Though I don't know what occurs when LANG and
> LC_CTYPE are different.)

LC_CTYPE overrides LANG, and LC_ALL overrides everything. But I don't
think you should be directly consulting environment variables. Why not
just use Mutt's charset variable, whose default value comes from
nl_langinfo (CODESET) when that is available?

> Well, How about coexistence of ~/Maildir/hcache.EUC-JP and
> ~/Maildir/hcache.UTF-8? i.e. different cache files for
> different locales. With this, changing locales doesn't
> invalidate cache.

However, if someone changes locale the old cache is useless but might
never get deleted, wasting disc space forever.

You should check whether keeping the cache in UTF-8 really costs a
significant amount of CPU time.

Edmund