Re: bounce broken?

 On Sunday, January 11, 2004 at 11:10:10 PM +0100, Gerhard Öttl wrote:

>| send-hook .          "my_hdr From: gerhard.oettl@xxxxxx"
>| send-hook mutt-dev   "my_hdr From: gerhard.oettl.ml@xxxxxx"
> in mutt_bounce_message neither the "resent_from" nor the "from"
> addresses use the send-hook.

    More precisely "my_hdr anything" is not used in bounces. And should
not be: Bounce sends the original header untouched, and only prepends
required "Resent-*:" fields.

> "from" in my .muttrc is not set, because "send-hook ." does the job

    $from is the primary way to set the default address. Overridable by
$reverse_name and "my_hdr From:" for normal mails, but not for bounces.

>| send-hook mutt-dev   "set from='gerhard.oettl.ml@xxxxxx'"
> don't work - any ideas?

    Known but perhaps undocumented limitation: $from set from a
send-hook is not used for the currently written mail (but eventually for
the next ones).

    That's why people keep using "(un)my_hdr From:" in send-hooks. Acts
immediatly, but is useless for bounces...

    I agree it's annoying. But make $from send-hookable would generate
other problems, see archives for past discussions about that.

> my login-name is gerhard, use_domain in .muttrc is on default, but
> without from in .muttrc (or my_hdr From:) my From address always ends
> up in "gerhard@".

    See $hostname and $hidden_host.

> /etc/mailname and /etc/hostname both contain the name "gerhardnb", but
> they are not used.

    I seem to recall having seen patches to make use of those files,
perhaps in Debian. I prefer $hostname. BTW "gerhardnb" is not fully
qualified enough, leading to your broken msgids.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Give your computer's unused idle processor cycles to a scientific goal:
The Genome@home project at <URL:http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/>.