Re: RFE - sort by from *address*

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 05:44:50AM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:22:32PM -0800, Will Yardley wrote:

> > So, if there isn't a way to do this currently, I was wondering if people
> > thought this would be a useful feature (either as a different sort key,
> > or as an on/off option for various operations that sort by "from"). This
> > seems more logical, since generally you're looking for emails from a
> > particular person to be grouped together.
>
> Well, on the other hand, what about this scenario:
> Dave Cohen <dave@someplace>
> Dave Cohen <dcohen@someotherplace>
> Dave Cohen <speedsk8r@yetotherplace>
> Dave Cohen <couchpotato@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> In this case, sorting by email addy instead of name would do exactly
> The Wrong Thing (TM), right?

Right - I was thinking there would be two sort-keys so you could pick
which one you wanted to sort by.

But if any of the other suggestions to kind of combine the two functions
are workable, that would be interestingly too....

> IMHO, the best solution is to sort by name, grouping identical email
> addresses together regardless of the names involved (possibly having that
> last bit controlled by an option).  I admit there are problems with it
> too, though.

I guess the qustion is how to pick which realname the "from" address is
ordered by if multiple addresses (with different realnames) are grouped
together.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."