Re: RFE - sort by from *address*

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:22:32PM -0800, Will Yardley wrote:

> So, if there isn't a way to do this currently, I was wondering if people
> thought this would be a useful feature (either as a different sort key,
> or as an on/off option for various operations that sort by "from"). This
> seems more logical, since generally you're looking for emails from a
> particular person to be grouped together.

Well, on the other hand, what about this scenario:
Dave Cohen <dave@someplace>
Dave Cohen <dcohen@someotherplace>
Dave Cohen <speedsk8r@yetotherplace>
Dave Cohen <couchpotato@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

In this case, sorting by email addy instead of name would do exactly
The Wrong Thing (TM), right?

In today's world of more email addresses than ants, some people are
pretty much guaranteed to have multiple email addresses (unless we wanna
give all them extras to the ants instead, but even so, some of them ants
would end up with multiple addys), so the scenario above is pretty much
guaranteed to occur.

IMHO, the best solution is to sort by name, grouping identical email
addresses together regardless of the names involved (possibly having that
last bit controlled by an option).  I admit there are problems with it
too, though.

Ideas, anybody?

 - Dave

Please visit this link: