[IP] RIAA wants your fingerprints

The aricle commented on is:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/04/biometric_drm/

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Gary E. Brant" <gb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 8, 2004 9:14:04 AM EDT
To: BIOMETRICS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RIAA wants your fingerprints

 Dear Bill,

As the inventor of the iVue Personal Media Player, and the developer of its larger encrypted media delivery network, I think it is important to advise you and other members of the BC that The Register's article was inaccurate in its reporting and a classic case of "tabloid journalism".

 To begin with, the RIAA doesn't want your fingerprints!

This organization's charter, in part, is to halt piracy of music recordings.

VeriTouch's iVue encrypted media player is the first HW device in the world to offer a solution to this world-wide problem.

By comparison, Apple Computer's well-known IPOD and every other portable music and video player on the market do precious little to prevent extraction of content from these devices, and posting
 of these files on P2P networks like KaZaA.

Without going into specific details, the iVue ensures that downloaded media content, including video games, plain text, images, application SW, electronic books, video and audio files may only be decrypted by the authorized customer via a localized fingerprint scan.

The procedure involved is no different than "pushing a button", which every consumer has done countless
 times with a variety of audio/video equipment.

The fingerprint data of the customer is NOT given to the RIAA or to any other party, it remains encased
 securely inside the player!

VeriTouch has spent almost three years to perfect a secure media content delivery system, of which the iVue player is a module.  The system has been designed to protect the identity and privacy of customers
 from every aspect.

That is why we take issue strongly with The Register in publishing a story about our solution that is so very far from the facts.

A more recent report which is more accurate was just published in PC Magazine, August 17th, 2004 edition now on the newstands.

 Interested members may read it online at:

I'll be glad to answer any questions from members as they wish about the iVue and related matters.

 Kindest regards,

 Gary E. Brant, CEO
 VeriTouch Ltd. - New York
 Mobile: 917-378-2525

--On Sunday, August 08, 2004 1:33 AM -0400 William Lawson <williamjlawson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 > Hello BCers's
 >
> I was curious to know what the members thought about this article and its
 > concepts.
 >
 > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/04/biometric_drm/
 >
> I am interested to hear all views, whether those views are for or against.
 >
 > For example:
 > What surprised you the most?
 > What seems most convincing?
 > What seems least convincing?
 > How does compare to other things that you have read?
 > What are the potential outcomes?
 >
 > If you feel that posting your views via the list might cause too much
> controversy, then please email be directly at WilliamJLawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
 >

 > Sincerely,
 > Bill
 > Dr. William J. Lawson, Ph.D.
 > Advisory Board Member,
 > Biometric Technologies, ICDRI
 > ICDRI Email: DocBill@xxxxxxxxx
 > Tel: 813-741-3418

 > Also, you may revove your name from the list by sending the command
> "SIGNOFF BIOMETRICS" to <LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.  Please do not
 > send the "SIGNOFF BIOMETRICS" command to the BIOMETRICS list.
 >
> You may update your membership information (new e-mail address etc.) by
 > sending a message to <bailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> providing the updated
> information.  Please do not send membership information change requests
 > to the BIOMETRICS list.
 >
 > Problems and questions regarding this list should be sent to
 > BIOMETRICS-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Gary E. Brant, CEO
 VeriTouch Ltd. - New York
 Mobile: 917-378-2525