[IP] RIAA wants your fingerprints

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx, ip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:06:45 -0400
Subj: RE: [IP] RIAA wants your fingerprints

Apparently the idea of capitalism is dead. The problem is not that we are to
become a nation of burger flippers -- it is that we are to become a nation
where there is no ownership. We can just lease and it is illegal to add
value to what we don't own. This is an issue far beyond the RIAA.

We've seen a preview of this control with Circuit City's Divx -- even if you
paid for unlimited use your player still had to call back and when the
service(!) went belly-up all perpetual licenses became useless (wonder what
ever happened to that -- did they refund people or replace the DVDs?).

I'm not worried about this biometric approach - I even welcome it. It would
make the absurdities too obvious to ignore.