Re: [ga] ALAC Statement on WSIS Declaration of Principles and Plan of Actions

Gentlemen,
if this list has still a purpose, it is to address governance issues. Out of any mission creep, governance is about managing in a concerted way the three resources permiting e-networks interconnections with the purpose of user end to end relations (names, address, protocols). Such notions as "private sector", "government", "civil society" belong to the WSIS, not to e-network interconnections architecture, development and operations.

They may be considered but as secondary to the main interest. They do not belong to RFC 920/1591.

We want that end to end relations (many to many) to be established, maintained and developped in a sure, secure, safe, stable, attracative, innovating way. If in some areas, some countries, some technologies, some occasions, there is a need for more or for less influence by one of these societal building blocks, or by other ones such as army, police, univesities etc. the governance should adapt and welcome their representatives. The Embassadors lounge at ITU is where Embassadors decide quick military operations to restore telephone liaisons in case of coup, war, earthquake, etc. Green Berets are part of the world's telecoms. But this is not the GA usual concern.

What is not acceptable is that the incapacity of a given technical, societal or governmental group deprives the global community from its right to surety, security, saftey, stability and innovation in term of interconnection of its e-netorks, what is IMHO now the case.

The risks on the DNS, the centralization of the IPv6 numbering scheme, the spam progression, the on-line crime and dangers and the inability of the network participants to organize the normal societal multiletral and community life (which usually contains the crime and reduces the dangers), only show the fragility and probably the failure of the current governance model. I welcome the WSIS declaration. But positive effects could only be perceived in one or two decades, because ITU-T is made of the ICANN stakeholders. So, before the WSIS ideas (we develop for more than two decades) can really take over, UN will have to make an ITU revolution and create the ITU-I (for Internet and Intelligence). Then that ITU-I will have to stabilize (this is why the soonest we start...).

I say "current failure" because one hour ago I had 549 mails (I had read my mails 11 hours before). 501 were junk mail. 53 had virus attachments. 2 lead me to rebout after finding and removing them manually at DOS level, before I could read the remaining list. The reading required 32 minutes. The waste and junk filters selected 481 mails. I reviewed them and had to manually unjunk 3 mails, 2 being key important mails for my business. At the same time Paull Hoffmann has started a private list, calling for it on IETF lists, to capitalize on IETF Members' expertise (out of IETF IP policy). That list has already different management problems based upon the respect or not of RFCs (Paul does not want to use "[mail-ng " in the subject, polluting participants mail agent lists for the sake of RFC 2919. Such a list shows the real mess we are mudded into: scores of different demands for a new mail system are gathered (most refering to our existing absurd architecture). It will call for years and to change habits of billions of people to go that way. They do not understand yet what we the users might want - but they do not ask...

TITANIC - Top Internet Technology, Administration and Network Infromation Center
Another name for ICANN?
jfc