Re: [ga] ALAC Statement on WSIS Declaration of Principles and Plan of Actions

The bottom line is that this convoluted epistle of double talk is
nothing more than an effort to protect the ICANN monarchy from
interference. "Them them eat cake!"

Just like every self-serving, domineering and tyrannical bad actor in
world history, there will be a time for retribution, restitution and
renaissance and that has always adversely affected the collaborators,
too.

Most of the Internet community has been educated well beyond the eight
grade and, otherwise, have an IQ much higher than a rock. You insult
me, and I suspect most, if not all, of the rest of the community, with
this mockery of reality and truth.

Rhetorically, was this ghost written by Veri$ign or WIPO?

Ladies and Gentlemen, we just need to follow the money . . . .

More importantly, each of us need to make a personal decision about
how much more of this er ____ (you choose the word) we are willing to
take and then make the equally important decision about what to do
about it.

We, as the Internet Community, are the subject matter and the
responsibility is ours. The question is simple - do you want to
control the destiny of the Internet, as it was always meant to be, or
do you want to relent to a self-appointed and self-serving monarchy.

I know my answer.  What is yours? . . .  and how do we get there? . . .

Doing nothing returns the same value -- nothing!

Thanks,

Wednesday, January 21, 2004, 5:55:46 AM, Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> [...]

VB> especially at community level, and should continue to play such a role;
VB> intergovernmental organizations have had and should continue to have a
VB> facilitating role in the coordination of Internet-related public policy
VB> issues;
VB> international organizations have also had and should continue to have an
VB> important role in the development of Internet-related technical standards
VB> and relevant policies.
VB> 50.     International Internet governance issues should be addressed in a
VB> coordinated manner. We ask the Secretary-General of the United Nations to
VB> set up a working group on Internet governance, in an open and inclusive
VB> process that ensures a mechanism for the full and active participation of
VB> governments, the private sector and civil society from both developing and
VB> developed countries, involving relevant intergovernmental and
VB> international organizations and forums, to investigate and make proposals
VB> for action, as appropriate, on the governance of Internet by 2005.

VB> Plan of Actions of WSIS

VB> C6.     Enabling environment
VB> 13.     To maximize the social, economic and environmental benefits of the
VB> Information Society, governments need to create a trustworthy, transparent
VB> and non-discriminatory legal, regulatory and policy environment. Actions
VB> include:
VB> a) Governments should foster a supportive, transparent, pro-competitive
VB> and predictable policy, legal and regulatory framework, which provides the
VB> appropriate incentives to investment and community development in the
VB> Information Society.
VB> b) We ask the Secretary General of the United Nations to set up a working
VB> group on Internet governance, in an open and inclusive process that
VB> ensures a mechanism for the full and active participation of governments,
VB> the private sector and civil society from both developing and developed
VB> countries, involving relevant intergovernmental and international
VB> organizations and forums, to investigate and make proposals for action, as
VB> appropriate, on the governance of Internet by 2005.  The group should,
VB> inter alia:
VB> i)      develop a working definition of Internet governance;
VB> ii)     identify the public policy issues that are relevant to Internet
VB> governance;
VB> iii)    develop a common understanding of the respective roles and
VB> responsibilities of governments, existing intergovernmental and
VB> international organisations and other forums as well as the private sector
VB> and civil society from both developing and developed countries;
VB> iv)     prepare a report on the results of this activity to be presented
for
VB> consideration and appropriate action for the second phase of WSIS in Tunis
VB> in 2005.
VB> c) Governments are invited to:
VB> i)      facilitate the establishment of national and regional Internet
Exchange

(http://wsis-online.net/smsi/file-storage/download/WSIS-CS-Decl-08Dec2003-eng1.htm?version_id=313554)

> [...]

VB> special and differential treatment; an open public domain of information
VB> resources and ideas; and the protection of human rights, consumer safety,
VB> and personal privacy.  In parallel, new diverse international arrangements
VB> are needed to promote: financial support for sustainable e-development,
VB> especially but not only in less affluent nations; linguistic, cultural,
VB> and informational diversity; and the curtailment of concentrated market
VB> power in ICT and mass media industries.

VB> In light of the relevant controversies in the WSIS process, special
VB> attention must be given to improving the global coordination of the
VB> Internet's underlying resources.  It must be remembered that the Internet
VB> is not a singular communications "platform" akin to a public telephone
VB> network; it is instead a highly distributed set of protocols, processes,
VB> and voluntarily self-associating networks.  Accordingly, the Internet
VB> cannot be governed effectively by any one organisation or set of
VB> interests.   An exclusionary intergovernmental model would be especially
VB> ill suited to its unique characteristics; only a truly open,
VB> multistakeholder, and flexible approach can ensure the Internet's
VB> continued growth and transition into a multilingual medium.  In parallel,
VB> when the conditions for system stability and sound management can be
VB> guaranteed, authority over inherently global resources like the root
VB> servers should be transferred to a global, multistakeholder entity.

VB> The international community must have full and easy access to knowledge
VB> and information about ICT global governance decision making.  This is a
VB> baseline prerequisite for implementation of the principles mentioned
VB> above, and indeed for the success of the WSIS process itself.   We need
VB> public-interest oriented monitoring and analysis of the relevant
VB> activities of both intergovernmental and  "self-governance" bodies
VB> including, inter alia, the International Telecommunication Union, the
VB> World Trade Organization, the World Intellectual Property Organization,
VB> the United Nations Conference on International Trade Law, the Organization
VB> for Economic Cooperation and Development, the Hague Conference on
VB> International Private Law, the of Europe, the Asia Pacific Economic
VB> Cooperation, the North  American Free Trade Agreement, the Internet
VB> Corporation for Assigned  Names and Numbers, and Wassenaar Arrangement.

VB> As a viable first step in this direction, we recommend the establishment
VB> of an independent and truly multistakeholder observatory committee to: (1)
VB> map and track the most pressing current developments in ICT global
VB> governance decision-making; (2) assess and solicit stakeholder input on
VB> the conformity of such decision-making with the stated objectives of the
VB> WSIS agenda; and (3) report to all stakeholders in the WSIS process on a
VB> periodic basis until 2005, at which time a decision could be made on
VB> whether to continue or terminate the activity.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----