Re: [alac-admin] Re: At-Large European Meeting

On 2005-07-09 22:23:24 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> In any case, I think it is a useful effort, but perhaps it's
> better if we first discuss draft texts among ourselves, then we
> share them with the Structures.

I don't think the key thing to discuss is a specific text at this
point.  I would rather try to get some key issues sorted out -- such
as the mechanism for selecting new ALAC members, and the
characteristics of new at-large structures.  (To the extent there is
any desire to actually have new or different characteristics.)

> Actually, in the conf call we had a couple of months ago, we
> discussed whether we wanted to use this meeting as the moment
> when we would draft Bylaws and MoU, or just to launch the
> process, and even if I initially supported the first idea, it was
> agreed that we'd better first have a general discussion.

I agree that we should start a process.

> So I would avoid entering into MoU details, also given that I'm
> not sure whether all of us think that the current set of ALSes is
> sufficient to start incorporating the RALO.

Frankly, I don't think we should wait any longer for other groups to
join.  My proposal for tomorrow would be to attempt getting some
consensus on the questions listed above, and on a follow-up meeting
in Europe some time soon -- could ICANN fund that?  -- where, on the
basis of the agreement achieved, a more detailed discussion can
start.

(Such a meeting could happen, say in Paris CDG -- meeting rooms at
the Ibis are 35¤ per person attending, rooms are at 100¤ per night,
and CDG is, I believe, a major Easyjet destination, making travel
reasonably achievable.)

Also, how open or closed is tomorrow's meeting?  If it's an open
one, I'd suggest that we say very clearly at the outset that the
purpose is to achieve agreement on some topics among those in the
room who represent accredited or pospective at-large structures.
Whoever chairs the meeting (who is that?) should make sure that
speaking time is allocated appropriately.

In the introductory round, I plan to say that I don't want to
discuss perfect representation in ICANN, but would prefer to focus
on the practicalities of getting ALAC to work.

See you tomorrow,
--
Thomas Roessler                       <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>