[alac-forum] On Domain Names: REGISTARS: Accredited but not monitored?

Title: On Domain Names: REGISTARS: Accredited but not monitored?
REGISTRARS: ACCREDITED BUT NOT MONITORED?
------------------------------------
Dear ICANN members,

I am  flaberghasted by how unregulated the web is, for those who own and manage domain names...

LOSING A .ORG DOMAIN NAME BECAUSE OF UNPROFESSIONAL REGISTRAR:

You supposedly hace accredited registars yet, as many of the other postings here and elsewhere show, they sometimes have unetical practices.

I as the manager of a non commercial web site Frenchparents.org was the victim of the names4 ver. Abacus America registry recently.  I was behind on renewing the domain name, having been away, and when I found out, emailed them to let them know I was sending a check for the renewal.   ( They'd already abusively charged my credit card in past..)

They had the domain name available again right after this contact and, having no more problems, or any sort of warnings from them, I assumed they'd received my check and all was ok..

But less than a month later, the site was unavavailble again and I learned, having had NO PRIOR WARNING and having communicated with them before on my WISH to renew the domain, that the domain had gone into the wonderful REDEMPTION period you created for us owners.

Thanks, but allowing us to pay $ 180 just to get our name back does not seem like a favour to us at all, especially for .ORG NAMES!!!

I believe Names4Ever is not acting professionally with its clients by:

- not informing them before a domain name goes into redemption (while leaving the site completely accessible, as if all was ok).

- not being accessible to clients who wish to discuss issues with them.

Names4Ever has such a bad record with the BBB in San Diego that they have been removed from the list of companies there!

It seems the BBB is looking out more for the consumer than ICANN is so far...

GETTING NAME BACK: HOPELESS AND EXPENSIVE CAUSE INTERNATIONALLY?

Having already not had the money to shell out $ 180 to get my name back, I certainly do not have $$ for arbitration, although I assume it can be recuperated if one wins..
But even then, a person has now snaped up the domain name form me who's based in Australia..
So even if I win, how can I hope to get the name back?

If only the registrar had behaved like an honest company, let alone like an accredited one, then all this would not be necessary...

I think ICANN is going to face legislation if it does not clean up its act and watch out, not just for the registrars, but also for the web's clients.

Best regards,

Caroline I.
San Francisco, CA