RE: [council] Whois "misrepresentation study" meeting

Avri,

I inserted a few responses below.

Chuck

Chuck: I didn't say anything about whether it should be posted or not, I
just didn't think it needed to be posted on the Master Calendar.  The
Master Calendar could easily become too large and less useful if every
possible meeting is included there and, if there is an expectation that
every step in a process opens the door for new comment, it could
definitely slow things down without commensurate value.  I would just
suggest posting meetings such as these in a different location or in a
distinct part of the Master Calendar.

> I have no problem with the staff doing information gathering,
> but I do believe that this has to be balanced.  And while one
> meeting is not enough to know for sure, I believe the
> information that was relayed in that meeting might, through
> the use of one sided definitions, skew the studies.

Chuck: And if it did we would have opportunity to identify that when
Staff gave us their report. I believe we need to have a certain level of
trust that Staff is there to work with us.  If there are reasons to
believe otherwise, we should deal with them when they occur, but I
personally am uncomfortable with an overly suspicious approach.

> I think transparency has to be a universal principle at ICANN
> that we al strive for
> though we all may miss miss the mark at times.  And while not
> everyone should
> be able to attend every meeting, everyone (and every
> constituency) should be able to know about meetings that are
> occurring and should have a way to make sure that the full
> spread of opinion and expertise is represented.  this is
> especially the case in something as sensitive and culturally
> explosive as Whois.
>
> I believe expediency by the Staff is never a good reason for
> a lack of transparency.

Chuck: I am not advocating lack of transparency but I believe it can be
accomplished while still maximizing efficiency.