Re: [At-Large] Rules of procedure, draft 2

At 9:06 AM +0200 4/18/07, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>Roberto Gaetano ha scritto:
>>  Wendy Seltzer wrote:
>>

>>>I think it's clear the new ALAC should vote for its representatives.
>>

>>  Absolutely.
>>
>>  Unless I am missing something, this implies two rounds of elections, the
>>  first one by the RALOs for the ALAC members, the second one by the ALAC for
>>  the officers.
>
>Incidentally, there is no term for the RALOs to notify their
>appointments, and some RALOs might want to meet at the AGM and vote
>there! So there's a bit of an electoral jam here :-)

Why is every ALAC discussion so long-winded and drawn out.  I don't
mean this as an attack or to be rude. It just seems to be the case.

Electing the liaison is typical.  It's been discussed for a few hours
in face to face meetings (Lisbon, and was mentioned in Sao Paulo... I
think.)  It's been part of draft papers.  There's still disagreement
now. And perhaps a new "log jam".

Why not look at the bylaws, say "OK, our terms begin at the end of
each AGM, every year we'll elect a board liaison on a schedule that
allows us to send the name one month prior to the AGM." And work back
from there. Organizations cannot debate every item to the finest
detail, at some point you just have to get on with it. Hours and
hours of person-time on what?

I do understand people have different opinions (on everything...) and
that there are reasonable democratic concerns for having made the
choice you've made.  But *every* decisions seems to be like this.

A real concern is how ALAC is viewed by the rest of ICANN -- it's not
good. The RALO formations has given a nice bump in the "polls", but
overall it's bad.

I don't see what the fuss is.  Once the staggered terms are in place
(by next year?) all ALAC members will serve 2 years and will get 2
goes at selecting these positions.  So where's the problem?

Adam