Re: [At-Large] ICANN Seeks Public Comments on Proposed Termsof Reference for Independent Review of the At-Large AdvisoryCmt. (and At-Large structures)

I also had felt that this Review is challenging as Carlos and others
point out that RALO activities are just beginning, even though the
framework was implemented more than three years ago. So, unlike the
GNSO review or NomCom review, which examine the continued activities
of three years plus, ALAC review is targeting on a quite new
activities, like inspecting newly-born baby, not three-year old child,
thus the methodology should carefully be examined before applying to
the new creature.

However, AtLarge, or Membership issue has a long history at ICANN,
from the very beginning of the organization. I would dare to compare
it almost as "the orignial sin"

Some of you are tired of this, I am sure, but still worth to note to
newly joined people, I think. Please ignore the next para if you all
know about this already.

First, it was a hot subject of devate in the formation process called
IFWP. I was an accidental chair of Membership workshop at IFWP in
Geneva and Singapore. But Open membership was not included in the
first version of Bylaws of ICANN, but open membership was mandated by
US DoC to officially recogniaze ICANN. Then ICANN followed this
mandate, created Membership Advisory Committee (MAC) to which I was
one of ten members. MAC proposed to have global electoin of 9, to
become ICANN Board, election implemented in 2000, with only 5 as the
first trial, then a review of whole AtLarge, not only of election as
originally proposed, came and just before its conclusion by ICANN
AtLarge Study Commitee (ALSC), out-of-blue "reform" was initiated and
the idea of AtLarge membership was totally deleted from the final
version of Evolution and Reform Committee draft recommendation. Some
of us lobbied and the compromise given was ALAC/RALO/ALSs.

Here, we have four RALOs just formed. It is still in its infancy, very
new and crude, perhaps. In Lisbon, I could not help but ask myself:
"Now the ship is built, but do we have sufficient food and water to
the big voyage to come?" at the signing ceremony. Could we come back
to the base port?

As Alice wrote, I agree it is "relevance", look at the reality, not
the theoretical framework per se, that is very critical for this
review. What are the difficulties or challenges, shortcomings of
current ALAC activitiew, and what are the possible measures to improve
them and bring life to the original purpose of implement meaningful
participation in ICANN policy development, which, in my personal
opinion, requires more direct representation AND strong ICANN
community support.

best,

izumi

--