Re: [At-Large] ICANN Seeks Public Comments on Proposed Termsof Reference forIndependent Review of the At-Large AdvisoryCmt. (and At-Large structures)

I think ALAC (ALS and RALOs) should see the
review as a great opportunity to show what that
can do.  That the Nominating Committee's being
reviewed at the same time might be seen as an
opportunity:  what can the RALOs and ALS
contribute to the NomCom, could the play a
greater role in making selections?  (NomCom's
missed named: it's a selection committee.)

NomCom (I'm the associate chair, but speaking for
myself not the committee) held a workshop in
Lisbon.  Not very well attended, but Vint Cerf's
comments are worth noting
<http://www.icann.org/meetings/lisbon/transcript-nomcom-28mar07.htm>

>>VINT CERF: It occurs to me -- I can't predict
>>this, of course, but it occurs to me that if we
>>are successful with the rapidly forming RALO
>>structure that some day we might imagine that
>>board members might be appointed by those RALOs.

We're not there yet. But is it possible that we
can now go to the formed RALOs and say, in
emulation of what might ultimately occur, can you
supply recommendations for people to serve on the
ALAC. (end quote)

Not the first time I've heard Vint mention this possibility.

ALAC proving that it really does enable
"individual Internet users' informed
participation in ICANN" would be a good challenge
for the review.   It's not clear to me how how
that really happens.

Adam