[At-Large] Customer protection

All,

you might have noticed some pieces of news out there on the story of
Registerfly, a registrar which is apparently failing to pay its registry
dues and thus to renew their registrants' domains, and all other sorts
of bad behaviour (see www.registerflies.com).

A month ago or so, I had already forwarded to the Board list a message
from the GA list, about other problems with a reseller (including the
typical one "my reseller listed themselves, rather than me, as the
registrant").

As you might know, often ICANN says that this falls outside of its
mandate, and into the mandate of local consumer protection regulations.
At the same time, I think that there are many things that ICANN could
do, from education (e.g. better information to point out registrants to
appropriate authorities) to consensus building (for example working to
develop best industry practices for registrars and resellers for what
pertains to how to deal with their customers) and to actual regulation
(for example adding to the registrar accreditation agreements clauses
that require registrars and their resellers to follow such best practices).

I would like to use these cases to push the Board to set up a specific
working group with the task of finding out some actions that ICANN could
do to get to better consumer protection. Thus, I would like to know
whether this is a request that we all share, so that I can put it forward.

Thanks,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------