Re: what is the benefit of imap?

On Wednesday, March 18 at 09:01 PM, quoth Jan-Herbert Damm:
> imap-issues are being discussed on this list quite frequently. i
> wonder what the benefit of imap generally is?

The same as any network-accessible system: access.

Here's a comparable question: what's the benefit of having your travel
itineraries available on travel websites (like expedia or
travelocity)? For whatever bizarre reason, people use those services a
lot, rather than printing their itineraries or saving them to local
disk. The benefit is that you can get to them from anywhere.

I was at a hotel recently on business travel. My laptop's wireless
connection was frotzed (long story), so I was forced to use the
computers provided by the hotel. These were locked-down Windows
machines, with a minimal web browser, but it was enough to get into my
webmail.

You might ask: why use IMAP when you have webmail? Well, I think the
reason is pretty clear. While it's true that you do get the centrality
and availability from webmail, it doesn't have the convenience that a
real email client has (for example, I *love* composing email in vim -
but I can't do that with webmail). But IMAP is the protocol that makes
both things possible: most webmail applications are centered on IMAP,
and IMAP makes it possible for me to sue my own client when I can.

> if you have access to broadband flatrate internet (as many people in
> agglomerations here in germany do) i can't think of the benefit of
> managing my mails on a remote server.

IMAP is more likely to be let through a strict hotel firewall than SSH
is.

Of course, you can host your own IMAP server on your home computer,
just as you host your own SSH server.

There is also something to be said for reliability. My home machine
sometimes loses power, or the neighborhood broadband goes out for a
half an hour JUST BECAUSE (that's what I get for living in a monopoly:
damn you Time-Warner!!! (note: their competitors are no better)). But
just in general, the connectivity of my home machine *cannot* match
the connectivity of my colocated system, which has two different
routes to the internet.

I have a battery backup here in my apartment, but it only lasts a few
minutes, and doesn't keep the internet up. My hosting provider has a
permanent diesel generator hooked into their electric system. As an
example, they recently survived an ice storm that caused power to go
out for a *week*, but the generator that kept my server happy the
whole time (even the air conditioning was powered by the generator).
Yes, I could set up something similar for my apartment, but not for
anywhere near a reasonable amount of money.

My desktop machine has a cheapie IDE hard drive. I have regular
backups (onto more, external cheapie IDE drives), but if lightning
hits... I'm pretty much screwed. My colocated server has
enterprise-class SCSI hard drives with offsite backups. There's no way
that I could justify doing that for my desktop computer, not for a
reasonable amount of money.

And the beauty of it is that this server of mine allows me to provide
the same level of service to my entire family. But there's no way I'd
insist that they learn ssh or the command line just to get access. No,
IMAP allows me to provide that service in a way that they can
understand, that's convenient, and that's fast.

Did I mention fast? It takes much less than a second to read my email.
Granted, mutt caches most of it, but that's fine: it's optimizing for
the common case.

Gosh, I guess I'm thinking: there's no reason NOT to use
IMAP---especially if you have lots of bandwidth at your disposal.

Does that answer your question?

~Kyle
- --
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that
we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public.
                                            -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1912