Re: what is the benefit of imap?

On 2009-03-18, Jan-Herbert Damm <jan-h-damm@xxxxxx> wrote:

> i have a "meta-question".
>
> imap-issues are being discussed on this list quite frequently.
> i wonder what the benefit of imap generally is?

Compared to what?

> if you have access to broadband flatrate internet (as many
> people in agglomerations here in germany do) i can't think of
> the benefit of managing my mails on a remote server.

 1) Managing e-mail on one server is a lot easier than managing
    them on a half-dozen different machines.

 2) I don't know about your boxes, but none of my machines have
    redundant disks with automated backup, redundant internet
    connections, backup power, 99.999% uptime, and so on.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! What PROGRAM are they
                                  at               watching?