Re: Mutt crashing on exit or replying (sometimes)

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 02:49:25PM -0600, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, March  6 at 01:31 PM, quoth Joshua Tinnin:
> > I have a very similar muttrc for three different situations, but
> > they refer to different locations for the spool and inbox, and only
> > one is crashing. The other two have no issues. All three are set to
> > UTF-8 as the charset.
>
> This may have nothing to do with your problem, but: setting the
> $charset variable manually is ALMOST NEVER a good idea! I've only ever
> seen *one* situation where it's even *useful*.

I typically need more than just 7-bit text, however. I'm really not sure
how to get it to use unicode without my specifying it. Is there
something I'm missing? I wish the documentation had warned me.

> Mutt is *VERY* good at figuring out what that variable *ought* to be,
> and if mutt is wrong, your system libraries (which mutt relies upon)
> will also get it wrong. What's worse, if mutt and your system
> libraries disagree on how to handle things (like text), you can wind
> up with bizarre errors that are nearly impossible to track down.
>
> So, let me be clear:
>
>      SETTING THE $charset VARIABLE MANUALLY IS ALMOST NEVER A GOOD
>      IDEA!

OK, but it does it whether the variable is set or not. I did try to
comment this out.

> > I can't see any differences between them which would be causing
> > this. Here's the relevant end of the debug:
> >
> > mutt_index_menu[617]: Got op 145
>
> That just means "I received the QUIT command". It'd probably be more
> helpful if you ran mutt inside a debugger and gave us a backtrace.

How do you do that? Again, I'm not a programmer. I'm running it compiled
with debug flags and with the debug level set at 5.

> > I looked around and there seems to be a few people who've had a similar
> > issue, chalked up to character sets or unicode, but I'm not a programmer
> > and I'm not sure how to get any further than this.
> >
> > Any ideas? Do I need to post my .muttrc?
>
> What version of libiconv do you use? There's some buggy ones out there
> (esp. on FreeBSD) that are known to cause crashes. You may just need
> to update your iconv library.

Well, right now it's libiconv-1.11_1. I'll run an update and see if a
newer version is available.

Thanks.

- jt