Re: problems editing raw message

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 00:19, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2009-03-04, ssizarit@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> When I'm in a folder and want to edit the raw message by pressing 'e',
>> I get the message (translated) "Could not create temporary mailbox: No
>> such file or directory".
>>
>> A google search didn't really provide the help I was looking for, but
>> that's partly because I don't know what to really look for.
>>
>> (Maybe I need to chmod some dirs? I don't know)
>
> According to the mutt manual (version 1.5.17, section 3.286,
> tmpdir), mutt puts temporary files in the directory specified by the
> "tmpdir" variable, or if that variable is not set, in the directory
> specified by the TMPDIR environment variable, or if that is not set
> either, in the directory "/tmp".
>
> In your case, it appears that either:
>
> 1.  "tmpdir" is set and that directory does not exist, or
>
> 2.  TMPDIR is set and that directory does not exist, or
>
> 3.  the directory "/tmp" does not exist.
>
> You can check the value of "tmpdir" by executing
>
>    :set ?tmpdir
>
> on mutt's command line.  You can check the value of TMPDIR by
> executing
>
>    echo $TMPDIR
>
> at your shell's command prompt.
>
> There are several ways to fix the problem, depending on what you
> find.  I have this in my muttrc,
>
>    set tmpdir=$HOME/tmp/mutt
>
> so that my temporary files are not in a publicly-visible place like
> /tmp and so that they are all together in a directory with no other
> files.

I know about tmpdir, and its been in my .muttrc for quite a while now.
If I use ":set ?tmpdir" it gives me the specified value.

Maybe it doesn't like the fact it's "hidden", i.e. is called
".mutttmp"?... I'll go check that out know. On the other hand, a quick
file-check shows ".mutttmp" was acccessed today, so hmm. Bug?