Re: problems editing raw message

On 2009-03-04, ssizarit@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> When I'm in a folder and want to edit the raw message by pressing 'e',
> I get the message (translated) "Could not create temporary mailbox: No
> such file or directory".
>
> A google search didn't really provide the help I was looking for, but
> that's partly because I don't know what to really look for.
>
> (Maybe I need to chmod some dirs? I don't know)

According to the mutt manual (version 1.5.17, section 3.286,
tmpdir), mutt puts temporary files in the directory specified by the
"tmpdir" variable, or if that variable is not set, in the directory
specified by the TMPDIR environment variable, or if that is not set
either, in the directory "/tmp".

In your case, it appears that either:

1.  "tmpdir" is set and that directory does not exist, or

2.  TMPDIR is set and that directory does not exist, or

3.  the directory "/tmp" does not exist.

You can check the value of "tmpdir" by executing

    :set ?tmpdir

on mutt's command line.  You can check the value of TMPDIR by
executing

    echo $TMPDIR

at your shell's command prompt.

There are several ways to fix the problem, depending on what you
find.  I have this in my muttrc,

    set tmpdir=$HOME/tmp/mutt

so that my temporary files are not in a publicly-visible place like
/tmp and so that they are all together in a directory with no other
files.

HTH,
Gary