Re: newbie install

Brandon

> Are you wanting to do filtering beyond what you are doing with Gmail's
> filtering?  Or are you trying to subvert the web interface altogether?
> This matters to answering your question.

Sorry i think i might have slightly misled your thinking and should clarify.

a] I want to use mutt on IMAP to bypass the web interface to reply and
sort through email more quickly than i do. e.g. google's web interface
is v.good compared with others but still slow only listing 100
messages per screen.

b] Save important emails to my hard drive which i gathered one can do
with mutt - using maildir saving as text files as opposed to mbox. To
select emails and then save manually to certain directories would be
ideal (although can probably be done via filter). [Using Thunderbird i
used a plugin called ImportExportTools which could save emails to a
folder in html format with an index. That was fine but i'd prefer to
use something simpler and like the text style of mutt].

c] POP does work fine and i've used it but takes along time to
download all email which one then deletes a large chunk of. I did set
Thunderbird up with filters and it was fine. Downloading 50 messages
takes time with POP compared with IMAP downloading just headers and
then retrieving the message body for say 10 messages you want to reply
to. I don't know how much of one's broadband byte allocation would be
used up with 1500 messages/week but a chunk whereas with IMAP much
less as it's only the headers and the message of those one chooses to
read.

d] I want to use an editor (vim) to edit emails and mutt offers this
which other email clients don't.

Thanks
james