newbie install

I'd be grateful if someone could just clarify a couple of things
before i do an installation.

using Ubuntu 8.04 on a standalone PC connected to broadband.
I chose Mutt as i can use vim as an editor and hopefully will be able
to reply to emails from my many yahoogroups and mail lists rather more
quickly than i have been doing.

I have three emails addresses with googlemail.com

Reading the Mutt manual and the gentoo guide; i gather that i need to
install fetchmail, procmail, mutt and one of a] nbstmp, b]ssmtp, c]
esmtp, d] mstmp as i'm not setting up an actual mail server either of
these are adequate but which should i choose.

mstmp i gather can be set up for SSL. SSL is what i have set up for
Thunderbird and had no problems.

thanks
james