Re: time stamps on emails in mutt index display

Paul [08.Feb.2009 23:34]:

Where does mutt get the date and time that it displays
in the index of emails in a folder? I ask because I am
trying to build an archive of old email in maildir
format and I have a troublesome email (well more than
one, but one is particularly troublesome).

Building the archive by hand or via scripting? If scripting, I am always
inclined to learn how other people do it :)

The desplayed date is 1970-01-01 00:00:00. I know that
this is the Unix epoch. I opened this particular email
in vim, say the there was no Date: line in it, and put
one in. But, even with multiple restarts of the program
and fiddles with the formate of the date string, I still
see the Unix epoch. Where should I dummy in a date on
an email so that mutt sees it? (and believes it?)

This is more of a hint on how to construct the right format:
Use something like 'formail -i "Date: $(date --rfc-2822)"' to set the
current date and replace 'Date:' in your email. mutt should display the
set date correctly after that.

Mutt seems to be expecting the date to be formatted according to RFC
2822. Either have a look there or at the output of 'date -R' (which will
display the date in such a way).

Hope that helps a bit.

JP - Sorry for any direct email :(

--
Time flies like the wind, but fruit flies like bananas.