Re: mutt reply enconding problem

* Dimitris Mandalidis on Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 13:20:40 +0200
> I think I found what the problem is and I believe it 's a bug, but I haven't
> checked mutt source files.
>
> I believe that when mutt fires up the editor for composing a reply, it
> gives the $ iconv -f <Content-type's charset> -t $charset to the editor, so
> in my case, it forces vim to sense fenc=utf-8, after editing the reply
> tries to iconv -f $charset -t <one of $send_charset> and everything goes
> smoothly.
>
> However, mutt doesn't do the same with the message headers like subject and
> probably from and to, when $edit_headers=yes, giving vim the original
> subject line with iso-8859-7 encoding and forcing it to fenc=iso-8859-7,
> after editing the reply it tries to iconv $charset -t <one of
> $send_charset> but the file encoding is != $charset, so the unreadable
> output.
>
> If the above assumptions are correct, I think that mutt should iconv not
> only the message body, but also the headers when $edit_headers=yes.

The problem might be more on Vim's side, as it tries to be
overclever in case you have fileencodings (note the "s" at the
end) set.

Try

set fileencodings=

in ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/mail.vim

Hopefully that helps.

\black\trash movie    _C O W B O Y_  _C A N O E_  _C O M A_
Ein deutscher Western/A German Western
-->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.html
-->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc-en.html