imap, maildir, folders with both subfolders and messages

Hi,

Just changed from a configuration where mutt talks to the maildir
folders on the filesystem directly to a configuration where mutt
communicates to the imaps on the localhost... I have a minor issue.

In the folder listing I have:

  1   IMAP               ../
  2   IMAP +             abuse.
  3   IMAP               abuse-cerberus
  4   IMAP +             admin.
  5   IMAP               arpwatch
  6   IMAP +             backup.
  [...]

The second, fourth and sixth mailboxes contain sub-folders.

The manual says:

  In lieu of file permissions, mutt displays the string "IMAP", possibly
  followed by the symbol "+", indicating that the entry contains both
  messages and subfolders. On Cyrus-like servers folders will often
  contain both messages and subfolders.

The thing is, most of the mailboxes that are marked with a "+" do
contain subfolders, but they do not contain any messages. I presume, the
"+" mark is present because the mailbox does have the maildir folders
"cur", "new" and "tmp". So, the "+" sign doesn't tell whether the folder
contains messages as well, but just whether it *could* contain messages.
Right?

Then, I noticed that in the IMAP folder listing, any folder that
contains any sub-folders has this trailing dot in the name. I presume
this is normal behaviour. If so, then what is the additional value of
the "+" mark?

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

--
Rejo Zenger . <rejo@xxxxxxxxx> . 0x75FC50F3 . <https://rejo.zenger.nl>