Re: mutt hangs when using remote imap server over home broadband

On Thursday, 31 July 2008, 08:54 (UTC-0500), Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday, July 31 at 11:01 AM, quoth Dan Davison:
> > I know next to nothing about the technicalities of email, and
> > although this basically seems to work, I've got lots of questions
> > about sending and sorting incoming mail, and I'd be interested in
> > knowing how others recommend dealing with this situation.
>
> Pretty much the same way. Although unless you want to keep your mail
> on their IMAP server for some other reason, chances are that you'll be
> MUCH happier if you pull all your mail and store it locally on your
> laptop (e.g. using fetchmail or getmail) rather than keep it on their
> server. That will make browsing through your mail archives MUCH
> faster, and certainly more reliable. On the other hand, if you need to
> be able to read your email without needing your laptop handy, then
> obviously that's not a workable solution.

I've become a great fan of using offlineimap, which lets you retrieve
mail from one or several IMAP acocunts and sync any changes you make
locally back up to the IMAP server(s).

You get the benefit of fast local access with the benefit of being
able to access from any computer with IMAP. Also great for syncing
between computers.

m.