mutt hangs when using remote imap server over home broadband

Dear mutt list,

I receive mail via my university email account, using the following line

set spoolfile=imap://markov.stats.ox.ac.uk/INBOX

I then have set imap_user and set imap_pass lines.

I run mutt locally on my laptop (ubuntu hardy), and save all my mail
locally on my laptop. Sometimes my laptop is on a university network,
and sometimes it's at home, over broadband.

I know next to nothing about the technicalities of email, and although
this basically seems to work, I've got lots of questions about sending
and sorting incoming mail, and I'd be interested in knowing how others
recommend dealing with this situation. However, one thing at a
time. The problem I'd most like to solve is the following:

When I'm at home, if I leave mutt running for a few minutes, it
invariably becomes unresponsive. I have to backgorund it with C-z and
then kill the process and restart. If I was composing an email then I
have to resurrect it from /tmp/mutt-*. My guess is that this happens
because mutt attempts some sort of remote communication with the imap
server, but what exactly? Can anyone help me debug this? The only
thing I've tried is to effectively tell mutt not to automatically
check for new mail with

set mail_check=`expr 60 \* 60 \* 8`

but that didn't solve it. There doesn't seem to be any problem when
I'm on the university network (ox.ac.uk domain, not necessarily
stats.ox.ac.uk).

OK, time to kill mutt, restart, and send this email.

Dan