Re: mutt looses new marker on mailboxes

=- Patrick Shanahan wrote on Sat 29.Dec'07 at 19:15:44 -0500 -=

> * =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_Sommer_ <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-29-07 18:13]:
> > I've different mailboxes (mbox format) for different purposes.
> > But mutt removes the new flag from the mailbox in the browser
> > even if there are mail with the new flag in the mailbox.
>
> No, you mis-understand the function.

Well... it depends on the folder-type.
Jörg's expectation is satisfied for me when I work with IMAP: new
msgs make the IMAP server report the folders containing them as new,
too, every time I reconnect until the msgs inside lose N.

Only for mbox format he's mistaken.

> > What might be the reason?
>
> once you open an mbox folder/file, you have unset the, "N", new
> flag. New mail will remain in the file and remain marked new until
> you open it, but the file/folder will no longer be new, ie: you
> have accessed it.

Ideally I'd like to have that optional.
But maybe my IMAP server wouldn't care anyway and keep reporting
them as unseen folders.

> > I want to keep track of unanswered mail in all boxes. How can I
> > persuade mutt to set the flag?
>
> do not open/access folders that you want to retain the new flag.
> There is no function to set a flag on a folder that I am aware.

Right, mutt can't do that.
But you could change it manually via your shell by resetting mtime and
atime as needed.
Jörg, see also faq (IIRC).