Re: Generate Reply / New Mail in new shell session

* Gary Johnson on Friday, October 05, 2007 at 07:40:03 -0700
> On 2007-10-05, Christian Ebert <blacktrash@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The following works in a dirty way -- you are prompted for
>> address and subject both in the old and new instances of Mutt,
>> but this should be solvable by macro. I made it for GNU screen,
>> but probably something similar works for xterm as well. One needs
>> "sleep" because Mutt is too fast in unlinking the tmp file (work
>> around "sleep" with "touch" doesn't seem to work here).
>
> If the script doesn't return to the first mutt until the cp
> operation is done, and if the second mutt is the only user of
> $DRAFT.tmp, and if the second mutt exits before the rm is executed,
> why do you need the sleep?

Trial and error ;) Of course I first tried "sleepless", but then
I got the "Aborted unmodified message." error.

>> #!/bin/sh
>> #[ -n "$STY" ] || exit 1 # test whether we are in running Screen
>> DRAFT="$1"
>> cp "$DRAFT" "$DRAFT.tmp"
>> (
>>    screen -X screen mutt -H "$DRAFT.tmp" ### works
>>    # xterm -e "exec mutt -H $DRAFT.tmp" ### untested
>>    sleep 1
>>    rm -f "$DRAFT.tmp"
>> ) &
>> exit 0

Speculation: mutt -H returns success somewhere right before it
calls the editor on $DRAFT.tmp.

Probably there are better ways to do this. For Screen an
interesting alternative would be to open a split region.

Python Mutt utilities <http://www.blacktrash.org/hg/muttils/>