Re: Colors and... nano or native pager??

On 2007-09-17, A Darren Dunham <ddunham@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 11:03:05AM -0700, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > I don't know what you mean by mutt's "editor/pager".  Mutt uses:
> >
> >    o  a line editor for editing the command line, which is built-in;
> >    o  a pager, which can be built-in or external;
> >    o  a line editor for editing messages in mailx mode, which is
> >       built-in;
> >    o  a text editor for editing messages in any other mode, which is
> >       external.
>
> What if editor="builtin"?  Is that what you mean by mailx mode?

What I meant by mailx mode is this from the man page:

 OPTIONS

      -x   Emulate the mailx compose mode.

That is the only way I've ever seen mutt use its built-in editor for
editing messages.

Before I wrote that reply I checked to see if setting 'editor' to
"builtin" would really work.  I tested it by trying to edit ('e') a
message, which failed because mutt tried to invoke "builtin" as an
external command.  That was not the smartest test I could have run.
I concluded that setting 'editor' to "builtin" did not work.

Just now I set 'editor' to "builtin" again to verify my earlier
results, but tested it by replying to a message.  It worked!  So I
stand corrected:  Mutt does have an internal editor that can be
invoked from the normal UI.

Thanks, Darren, for asking the question.  I learned something new
about mutt.  I apologize for leading anyone astray with my earlier
reply.

Regards,
Gary